Skip to main content

Glenfield History

Glenfield History 

Glenfield occupies the North extremity of the building. It is entered by double doors which formerly gave onto a utility area containing compressor equipment for the refrigeration rooms situated immediately to the South. The bathroom was formerly part of this region. The bedroom was the generator room. At the end of the nineteenth century forward looking proprietors were installing electricity to replace gas as the principal means of lighting. The domestic quarters were therefore extended to house new generator plant which was powered by water fed via a ram pump from a reservoir constructed above the Iron Stag field. Near the North wall of the sitting room was a sump which received the water passing through the turbine; subsequently the water exited beneath the East wall to reach the burn which still supplies the pond. 

Glenfield's kitchenette was primarily a coal store which was charged via the low window with wooden shutters. Most the of sitting room area contained generator equipment. Photographs displayed on the wall show the stages in transformation from powerhouse to holiday let. The generator system was in use until 1981 and although the electricity system is now mains powered, the original nineteenth century switches with glass covers have been retained. 

From the garden door one looks almost directly on to the head of the Prince's Walk; the Prince's Well lies just beyond the start of the Walk on the right-hand (North) side. By strolling down the Prince's Walk and then following the road to the West for 600 metres one can reach the view and commemorative plaque of the Seven Men of Moidart (The Prince, Sir Thomas Sheridan, his tutor, Captain JOgn O'Sullivan, George Kelly, The Marquess of Tullibardine, Aeneas Macdonald and Francis Stickland). The Prince and his companions reached Loch Moidart on 11th August 1745. 

Book to stay in Glenfield here

About the author

Kinlochmoidart